Microsoft unveiled how the future of Windows will empower people more than ever. Building on what we shared in September, we disclosed key consumer and end user experiences as part of the next chapter of the Windows 10 story. We still remain committed to making Windows 10 the best version for enterprise yet.
To date, more than 1.5 million “Windows Insiders” in more than 100 countries around the world are using the Windows 10 Technical Preview on 2.75 million different devices. This is our most expansive pre-launch testing program, and has already generated millions of pieces of feedback helping us shape the best release of Windows for the enterprise to date.
Some of the innovations and features announced today include:
1. Single Platform: While we talked about this in September, today we showed how Windows 10 is a single platform that works seamlessly across all form factors including your phone, tablet or PC. This gives developers a broader app development platform as well, and enables customers to purchase an app once to use across all their devices.
2. Cortana: A voice-activated personal assistant that will be available on Windows 10, Cortana is designed to help you to get things done more easily and efficiently.
3. Project Spartan: An all-new browser built to deliver a better web experience—one that’s made for easy sharing, reading, researching, and getting things done online.
4. Office for Windows 10: New universal Office apps great for touch-first productivity across all devices.
5. Suite of In-Box Apps: A updated set of in-box applications – universal for working consistently across all Windows devices – for Photos, People/Comms, Videos, Music, Maps, Mail and Calendar.
6. Upgrades: We believe that Windows 10 will be our best enterprise platform ever. We’re excited that the upgrade will be delivered for free via Windows Update to qualified Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. We believe that businesses and organizations of all sizes will love Windows 10. As mentioned, organizations connected to Windows Update will receive the free upgrade on qualified devices.
For more details about what we shared today, feel free to view the on-demand recording of our press event and visit Windows For Your Business and Blogging Windows. Additionally, you can check out our frequently asked questions document on the Partner Marketing Center.
I am looking forward to our ongoing discussions on Windows 10.